German Teachers' Course in Vienna
Methodology, didactics and culture
We run special training courses for non-native teachers of German. The courses are an opportunity for you to update your language skills and exchange your experiences in using various teaching methods with international colleagues and teaching staff of the language school. Up-to-date information on Austrian and German language, culture and literature are part of the programme. The course is designed to provide you with suggestions and new ideas which you can then put into practice after returning home.
Funding available through Erasmus+. Programme | Grants | Erasmus+ Funding
German Teachers' Course:
|20 lessons Teacher training course + 5 lessons cultural/special interest programme per week. | 1 lesson = 45 minutes, from level B2|
German and Teacher Training:
|20 lessons general German course per week + 5 lessons cultural/special interest per week + 7 lessons of Teacher training programme. | 1 lesson = 45 minutes, from level B1.1|
|Group size:||8-12 participants|
|Starting dates German Teacher Course:||18.01.2021 / 29.03.2021 / 05.07.2021 / 19.07.2021 /
04.10.2021 or on request (min. 6 participants)
|Starting dates German and Teacher Training:||every Monday|
|Minimum age:||16 years|
Course time schedule
09:00–12:15 am or 02:15–05:30 pm
You will be informed about your exact schedule on your first day of school
German Teachers' Course
This course is for teachers of German whose native tongue is not German. If you teach German in your home country and want to update your German and teaching skills and discuss cultural topics, this course is perfect for you. (i.e. German teachers for youth and/or adults)
German and Teacher Training
This course is for all teachers who want to improve their knowledge of German in order to extend their professional skills. (i.e. teachers in training, primary or preschool teachers).
- Work on language structure.
- Improvement of personal expression and fluency.
- Text analysis, working with writing stimuli, reading techniques.
- Spelling reform.
- Looking at and discussing various teaching material.
- Getting to know new language books.
- Using communicative methods in lessons.
- Variations on teaching grammar and vocabulary.
- Use of authentic material on different language levels.
- Using audio-visual media in lessons.
- Computer-aided learning.
- Teacher observation in one of our German courses, on request.
- Getting to know Austrian culture.
- Political, geographical and historical developments.
- Teaching Austrian customs and culture.
- Discussing contemporary Austrian and German literature, politics and issues in the classroom.
Throughout the year you have the choice of the ActiLingua Residence, a Host Family or an Apartment. In the summer months Student Houses are also available. In Host Families and in the ActiLingua Residence it is possible to book breakfast, half-board or self catering (use of kitchen). Our apartments include a kitchen in which you will find the essential utensils and crockery. Accommodation in Student Houses is available with breakfast or halfboard. Arrival: Sunday, Departure: Saturday.
CULTURE AND LEISURE
Lessons are supplemented by varied cultural and special interest classes: e.g. guided Vienna city walks, lectures and talks on various topics, video evenings, visits to wine taverns or Waltz courses.
Additionally, you can also take part in one of the weekend excursions to e.g. Salzburg, Graz or Wachau organized by the school at cost price.
For participants from EU member states and from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Turkey, North Macedonia and Serbia. The Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union awards grants towards the costs of the course, accommodation and journey to Vienna. Information is available at your national agency for lifelong learning.
Erasmus+PIC (Personal Identification Code): 948767283
Erasmus+ OID (Organisation ID): E10050768
The following teachers are eligible to apply for a grant:
Students, professors, teachers, trainers, staff & professionals of organisations active in the following fields:
- higher education
- VET (vocational education and training)
- school education
- adult education
- youth field
Applications must be made by schools or educational organisations or consortium coordinators on behalf of schools who select candidates for training activities abroad. You cannot apply directly for a grant as an individual.
The National Agencies can help with queries and applications.
Prices 2020 & 2021
|25 lessons||2 weeks|
|Tuition only (German Teachers’ Course or German and Teacher Training)||€ 708,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard twin / Student house shared||€ 1018,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard single / Student house single||€ 1134,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard twin for single use||€ 1200,-|
|Tuition + Residence Superior 1 person||€ 1498,-|
|Tuition + Residence Superior 2 persons||€ 1264,-|
|Tuition + Student Apartment/Family shared||€ 974,-|
|Tuition + Student Apartment/Family single||€ 1114,-|
Residence = ActiLingua Residence
- German Teachers' Course: 20 lessons teachers' training course per week or
German and Teacher Training: 20 lessons general German course per week + 7 lessons of didactic and methodical teacher training (1 lesson = 45 minutes).
- 5 lessons (2-3 times) cultural/special interest programme per week: e.g. guided Vienna guided tours; talks and videos about Austrian music, art, history, literature and architecture; Viennese Waltz course; parties; sports
- Accommodation as booked (use of kitchen included)
- ActiLingua Certificate
- ActiLingua vocabulary book
- Course books may be borrowed for the whole course. Books can be bought at a 50% discount from the school office.
- Use of computers, books, CDs, DVDs and magazines in the multimedia library
- Student service at the school office, Monday - Friday
- Free internet access & free WiFi
- Student manual with interesting tips on Vienna
- ActiLingua Card entitling holder to discounts at a number of museums, theatres, restaurants and shops
- Weclome Dinner (German Teachers' Course)
|High season surcharge |
(04.07. - 28.08.2021)
|€ 56.-||per week|
|Breakfast||€ 50.-||per week|
|Half-board||€ 134.-||per week|
|Transfer (from airport/station)||€ 42.-||one way|
|Cancellation insurance||4 %||of total amount|
|Travel insurance package||€ 18.-||per week|
|Public transport (subject to change)||€ 17.10||per week|