Learn to speak German and have fun!
Culture, Sports, Sightseeing
ActiLingua stands for much more than simply learning to speak German. The packed activity programme and special interest classes will present a diverse view of Vienna, Austrian culture and German language. Learn new and exciting things about the daily life of the locals, their culture and the city with the highest quality of living in the world. (5 lessons per week are included in the price).
Our photo and video gallery gives you some insights into our current leisure programme.
You can also like us on Facebook “ActiLingua Academy: Learn German - Experience Vienna”. There you will find our most recent posts and pictures from our activities and excursions.
Our teachers take students into Vienna to explore the city's hotspots. Discover Vienna from various angles: architecture from Baroque to Jugendstil (Art Nouveau), Viennese history, literature and lifestyle...
Excerpt from city walks (free of charge)
- from Baroque to the Modern Age - from imperial splendour to modern functionality
- Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) in Vienna - the art of being practical
- In Hundertwasser's footsteps - Vienna vibrantly varied
- Around the Ring Boulevard - history, architecture and anecdotes
- Blutgasse district - legends about old Vienna
- Tracking Roman Vienna: Frontier fortress Vindobona
Lifestyle, fun and adventure
- The Vienna Prater - from the Giant Ferris Wheel to the Lusthaus
- Coffee houses in Vienna - introduction to a Viennese institution
- Parks in Vienna - green Vienna and its monuments
- Legends surrounding St. Stephen's Cathedral - a landmark and its stories
- Strudlhofstiege - a literary experience
We organize special talks, discussions and videos about Austrian music, art, literature, history and architecture. Films, tours of the many sights of Vienna, parties and sports all form part of this programme.
Excerpt from lectures and activities (free of charge)
- Mozart - the two sides to his genius
- Austrian pop music - Falco and others
- Johann Strauß - the king of the Viennese Waltz
The Austrian way of life and regional studies
- What's on in Vienna - culture, hotspots and events
- Austrian cuisine - beer, wine, coffee, Wienerschnitzel, Knödel and Sachertorte
- Introduction to Austria - the federal provinces, their history and their attractions
Art, architecture and intellectual history
- Fin de siècle - life in Vienna at the turn of the last century
- Biedermeier - between the revolutions
- Siegmund Freud
- The House of Habsburg - a European royal family
- Franz Joseph and Sisi - the dream couple at the turn of the century
- Vindobona - Roman Vienna
Fun and Adventure
- Party and waltzing class - Alles Walzer!
- Evening city walks - Vienna by night!
- Cooking - Wiener Schnitzel, Dumplings, Kaiserschmarrn prepared by you!
Nothing is better for unwinding after intensive study sessions than physical exercise. Depending on the time of year, the sports enthusiasts among the ActiLingua teachers organise various matches and games for our students.
In summer we love to spend our free time outside in the fresh air! We pick the most popular places in Vienna, such as the Danube Island, the Old Danube and the Vienna Prater. Here you will find some of the most popular activities:
- Playing football
- Volleyball tournaments
- Swimming at the Danube Island
- Viennese Waltz course
- Stand Up Paddling
A winter in Vienna promises magical moments in unique atmosphere. Ice skating at Wilhelminenberg with stunning scenery is probably one of the best examples of this. When it’s too cold outside, our teachers will take you bowling or organize cooking lessons, video evenings, Christmas parties, and several indoor sports with your colleagues from the ActiLingua Academy.
For ski and snowboard enthusiasts, we offer a special programme - German & Wintersports!
For those who love sports and cannot get enough of it, Vienna offers many varied opportunities to do so. Have a look below, in the drop down menu “Leisure Tips”!
The weekends are a time for culture and nature. We organize trips and excursions to Salzburg (“Mozart city”), Graz (capital of Styria) and its Southern flair, Klosterneuburg (famous for its Babenberg heritage) and to “Wachau” region and Danube valley. We also visit the Kreuzenstein castle (half-day excursion) and Seegrotte Hinterbrühl. In summer, we swim at Lake Neusiedl and savour Austrian wine taverns (“Heuriger”).
Things to do in Vienna:
- Have you ever heard of Friday night skating? Every Friday from May to September, you can embark on a journey of discovery through Vienna along with thousands of skaters and cyclists. Departure is at 9pm from “Heldenplatz”. You can also rent skates at favourable prices when showing your ActiLingua card at the bike and skate rental service Copa Cagrana on the U1 station Donauinsel.
- Are you looking for a secret hideaway for a relaxing day in the big city? Particularly worth seeing are Burggarten, Volksgarten, Wiener Prater, Stadtpark, Rathauspark and the Danube Island.
- Bike and Segway tours - sounds like a lot of fun on two wheels! The bike and skate rental service at the Copa Cagrana on the U1 station Donauinsel, makes it possible! Our ActiLingua students can rent bicycles, scooters, inline skates and go-karts at special prices. This location is also ideal as a starting point for a Danube island tour.
- Club Danube, EuroGYM and fitness club Heimlich are public gyms and offer a wide range of sports; e.g. tennis, squash, badminton, gymnastics, aerobics. With your ActiLingua card, you profit from special prices at Fitness club Heimlich.
- You love to dance? BigsMile and arriOla dance studios are the most popular ones amongst Viennese dancers. You can choose from hip-hop, dancehall, funky jazz, street dance, breakdance and much more. Dance school Schmidtschläger offers special conditions for ActiLingua students.
- Another interesting insider tip are the indoor rock climbing halls of Vienna; Kletterhalle Wien, ÖTK Kletterhalle and Kletterhalle Marswiese. All climbing gyms have a generous range of courses for all ages and levels. You can rent the equipment on site.
- For concerts, musicals, operas, top events and much more visit www.oeticket.com or www.wien-ticket.at. Your ActiLingua card entitles you to a discount up to 50% on a Mozartkonzert.
- Art and culture lovers can enjoy an exciting mix of museums, exhibitions, history, architecture and lifestyle. For some hot tips have a look at http://www.wien.info/en.
- Are you interested in discovering the culinary side of Vienna? Then we definitely recommend a visit to a Heurigen with wine tasting and a Sacher cake in one of the traditional Viennese coffee houses. Do not forget to treat yourself to a snack at a typical “Würstelstand” (sidewalk sausage stand).
In order to profit from the special conditions, your ActiLingua card must be presented at each operator. For further information and details feel free to contact us or just ask at the school’s secretary!