University Preparation & Placement
Learn German for your university studies
Do you want to prepare for your university studies (in Austria or at home)? Do you want to gather international experience and improve your German skills? Do you want to get an internationally recognized certificate?
The programme is directed at high school graduates who would like to study in Austria. In the German course you perfect your knowledge of German. The ActiLingua university placement expert advises you on the right choice of university and the enrolment process. We can also place you at a suitable private/public university or university of applied sciences in Austria with Bachelor, Master or PhD degrees.
German Course - Standard or Intensive
A preparatory German course with a duration of 12 to 52 weeks is an excellent foundation for meeting the challenges of university studies. Your German course consists of 4 lessons (Standard) or 6 lessons (Intensive) daily in small international study groups following a recognized curriculum. You profit from an attractive long-term discount of up to 18% (This discount is already considered in our price list). Total beginners in German should plan for at least 36 weeks of German course.
A certificate preparation course disposes you for taking a university entrance exam. ActiLingua is an examination centre for OSD University entrance certificates. OSD-Mittelstufe (B2) or OSD Oberstufe (C1) will be recognized by Austrian and some German universities as sufficient language entrance requirements. Our university placement advisor will inform you in two tutorials about the Austrian system of higher education and assist you in choosing the right university and study programme.
University Placement Service
In addition to University Preparation you can also optionally book our placement service. Before you come to Austria and start your German course at ActiLingua Academy, we will check if your internationally acquired diplomas qualify for admission at an Austrian university. We place you at a public/private university or at a university of applied sciences (Fachhochschule). You can also choose a university with English study programmes in Austria.
Requirements for studying at an Austrian university
There are certain restrictions to university admission, especially in popular studies (i.e. medicine-related studies, Biology, Pharmacy, Psychology, Business Studies and others) at some universities.
Please contact the university for detailed information.
For EU, EEA or Swiss nationals and others:
- High school diploma (translated and authenticated). It’s up to the individual universities if additional exams are required.
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of German: OSD-Mittelstufe.
Citizens of other nations additionally need:
- proof of a university place in your homeland:
- in the same field of studies as you would like to study in Austria and
- for the period of time you want to study in Austria.
This confirmation is not required if you enroll at a private university.
Most universities offer 3- or 5-year degree programmes. After completing a 3-year programme you graduate with a Bachelor's degree and after a 5-year programme you graduate with a Master's degree. You can opt for further studies, called doctorate ("PhD"). You can also attend university as visiting student and stay for one or two terms only.
- Universities in Austria: University of Vienna, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna University of Economics and Business, University of Graz, Linz, Salzburg, Innsbruck and more.
- Art Colleges: Vienna Conservatory, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna, University of Music and Performing Arts Salzburg (Mozarteum Salzburg) and more.
|Lessons:||20 or 30 lessons (Standard or Intensive) per week |
5 lessons (2-3 times) of culture/special interest programme per week
8 lessons exam preparation course
|Starting Dates:||Every Monday. Total beginners see below.|
|Starting Dates Beginners:||31.10.2016 / 28.11.2016 / 02.01.2017 / 30.01.2017 /
06.03.2017 / 03.04.2017 / 02.05.2017 / 06.06.2017 /
03.07.2017 / 31.07.2017 / 04.09.2017 / 02.10.2017 /
30.10.2017 / 27.11.2017 / 02.01.2018
|Starting Dates |
|25.01.2016 (exam: 04.02.2016 & 05.02.2016) / 29.02.2016 / 02.05.2016 / 04.07.2016 /
18.07.2016 / 08.08.2016 / 29.08.2016 / 31.10.2016 /
23.01.2017 (exam: 02.02.2017 & 03.02.2017) / 06.03.2017 (exam: 16.03.2017 & 17.03.2017) / 02.05.2017 (exam: 11.05.2017 & 12.05.2017) / 03.07.2017 (exam: 13.07.2017 & 14.07.2017) /
17.07.2017 (exam: 27.07.2017 & 28.07.2017) / 07.08.2017 (exam: 17.08.2017 & 18.08.2017) / 28.08.2017 (exam: 07.09.2017 & 08.09.2017) / 30.10.2017 (exam: 09.11.2017 & 10.11.2017)
|Minimum age:||16 years|
|Placement Service||590.00||course 6-11 weeks|
|Placement Service||420.00||course 12-52 weeks|
|25 lessons||6 week||10 weeks||EXTRA week |
|12 weeks||24 weeks||EXTRA week |
|Tuition only||€ 1133,-||€ 1833,-||€ 175,-||€ 1787,-||€ 3491,-||€ 142,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard shared||€ 2039,-||€ 3343,-||€ 326,-||€ 3599,-||€ 7115,-||€ 293,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard single||€ 2381,-||€ 3913,-||€ 383,-||€ 4283,-||€ 8483,-||€ 350,-|
|Tuition + Residence Superior shared||€ 3443,-||€ 5683,-||€ 560,-||€ 6407,-||€ 12731,-||€ 527,-|
|Tuition + Shared Flat/Family/Student house shared||€ 1913,-||€ 3133,-||€ 305,-||€ 3347,-||€ 6611,-||€ 272,-|
|Tuition + Shared Flat/Family/Student house single||€ 2321,-||€ 3813,-||€ 373,-||€ 4163,-||€ 8243,-||€ 340,-|
|35 lessons||6 week||10 weeks||EXTRA week |
|12 weeks||24 weeks||EXTRA week |
|Tuition only||€ 1871,-||€ 3063,-||€ 298,-||€ 3143,-||€ 6203,-||€ 255,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard shared||€ 2777,-||€ 4573,-||€ 449,-||€ 4955,-||€ 9827,-||€ 406,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard single||€ 3119,-||€ 5143,-||€ 506,-||€ 5639,-||€ 11195,-||€ 463,-|
|Tuition + Residence Superior shared||€ 4181,-||€ 6913,-||€ 683,-||€ 7763,-||€ 15443,-||€ 640,-|
|Tuition + Shared Flat/Family/Student house shared||€ 2651,-||€ 4363,-||€ 305,-||€ 4703,-||€ 9323,-||€ 385,-|
|Tuition + Shared Flat/Family/Student house single||€ 3059,-||€ 5043,-||€ 496,-||€ 5519,-||€ 10955,-||€ 453,-|
- 8 group lessons exam preparation
- University entrance exam (OSD) B2 or C1 examination fee
- 2 free tutorials: Help with choice of study programme and university with the ActiLingua university placement advisor
- Advice on the Austrian system of higher education
- Inspection of the university application documents before course start
- Submission to up to 3 Austrian universities
- Standard Course: In 20 German lessons per week (1 lesson = 45 minutes) you improve your general knowledge of German. Lessons in grammar and conversation help you with syntax and vocabulary building. You practice formal and informal writing and work on listening and reading comprehension.
Intensive Course: 10 further German lessons in especially small study groups in addition to Academic Year 1.
- 5 lessons (2-3 times) cultural/special interest programme per week: e.g. Vienna guided tours; talks and videos about Austrian music, art, history, literature and architecture; Viennese Waltz course; parties; sports
- Accommodation as booked (use of kitchen included)
- ActiLingua Certificate
- ActiLingua vocabulary book
- Course books may be borrowed for the whole course. Books can be bought at a 50% discount from the school office.
- Use of computers, books, CDs, DVDs and magazines in the multimedia library
- Student service at the school office, Monday - Friday
- Free internet access & free WLAN/Wi-Fi
- Student manual with interesting tips on Vienna
- ActiLingua Card entitling holder to discounts at a number of museums, theatres, restaurants and shops
|Study fees (must be paid to the university)||382 - 745.-||per semester|
|High season surcharge |
(July 3 - August 27, 2016)
|Twin room for single use (Supplement on Residence)||89.-||per week|
|Transfer (from airport/station)||40.-||one way|
|Travel insurance package||16.-||per week|
|Cancellation insurance||4%||of total amount|
|Public transport||16.20||per week|
|Pocket money||70.-||per week|